The three weeks prior to winter break are always really busy. For starters, the kids are all a little crazier than usual (kids=students). They get more and more restless as a holiday break approaches. Hell, what am I talking about? So do the teachers. (A lot of us have had a countdown going since we got back from Thanksgiving break).
It's amazing how fast the first half of the school year flies! The end of January through the end of March is the worst part of the year. It seems to drag on and on forever. There are hardly any breaks, and every school in the state of Florida goes on 'FCAT' mode. (I will spare you all my FCAT rant....I'll save it for March). At least April to the first week of June seem to fly by fairly quickly. There is so much to do before we close up shop for the summer.
But, I digress. Back to this past week...
There is so much going on at work. Progress report grades were due Tuesday after Thanksgiving, midterm exams are coming up in January, we've had field trips galore all week, field day is next Friday, school-wide testing is starting Monday for three days, AND my band's winter concert is on Wednesday the 16th. The kids and I have been on 'concert mode' for the last couple of weeks
There is a lot going on in FBA land as well (Florida Bandmasters Association). We had a meeting Monday night where I had to collect everyone's checks and entry forms for all of the upcoming solo and ensemble, jazz band, and concert band festivals. (Another reason why January--March drags on and on...). I prepared our financial reports as well for the meeting, and I've been hiring people to judge said festivals. I spent hours working on our mid-year financial reports two weeks ago (FUN). AND...when my term as treasurer is over this year, I'll be serving as district chair for the next two years. So I'm more than ready for the upcoming winter break!
We have dress rehearsal for GMSB (Greater Miami Symphonic Band) on Monday night, and the concert is on Tuesday night. Then, Wednesday night is my concert at school. I am BUSY! Guess what also happens on Tuesday? Our 2nd wedding anniversary. =) The celebrations are postponed until next Saturday.
In the world of good news, my mom had her reconstructive surgery Wednesday. This time, it was an outpatient procedure and she was home a few hours later. She is relaxing at home and doing well. We're going over again tomorrow for a visit and dad's BBQ. We're all so glad that she can start the new year with a clean slate!
We're off to do some more Christmas shopping, then dinner and a movie!
Have a good weekend, everyone!
Have you thought about slowing down? Okay, of course you have. I'm working the evening shift on Wednesday, or I would love to attend your school’s holiday concert. We ENJOYED the GMSB Christmas Concert. The music was beautiful, so wonderful. Steve’s solos were so smooth, and sounded magnificent. The lady seating next to me said “Isn’t the percussion section fantastic?” I smiled and said “Yes they are.” Flute solos were perfectly smooth in sound quality, brilliant. Great performances. Your Dad was very happy to be on vacation while being wide awake enjoying the concert. At the end of the concert when we walked up front to speak to both of you, he said "Look I'm still awake." Your Mom looked lovely as she always does. She seems to be doing very well after her surgery. We are so happy everything is perfect for your parents. You are wearing many hats. The hats just change as your get older, they don't seem to disappear. Your sister will be home today for the holidays. Please tell Stephie, we said, “Welcome Home!”
ReplyDelete