After the concert on Wednesday I was done. Thursday and Friday were supposed to be easy days at school. Thursday and Friday felt more like hurricane season than December. The roads around school were really flooded. You can imagine how relieved I was to finally get in the car on Friday afternoon and head home to officially start my break. This is what happened instead:
This is what's left of my poor little lancer.
I was driving home going west when some idiot driving east pulled out in front of me to turn left at an intersection (regular intersection, no stop light or stop sign). I slammed on my brakes, and honked my horn. CRASH. The impact was really hard, and I remember thinking that it was really long, too. When the moving stopped, I immediately noticed the sharp pain in my chest, nose, and lips. There was a smoky-powdery substance in the air. I looked down at my chest where I felt the sharpest pain, scared of what I would see. Luckily, all I had there was redness and a cut. I then thought: "Am I stuck inside? Open the door--get out! Will I be able to stand up and walk? Where's my phone? Call 9-1-1! there's smoke in the car--turn off the engine! What if a fire starts? Grab your purse and get away from the car!" My phone was on the pavement somehow. I dialed 911. I reached back into my car to take the keys out, but they were stuck--the engine wasn't running, but Tchaicovsky was still blaring from my CD player. I leaned over the driver's seat to grab my purse and noticed the pain in my wrist. I looked over to another bag by the passenger's side--my flute was in it. I suddenly felt this sad, sinking feeling when I realized I couldn't take it with me...I didn't know what would happen to it in the car. This happened in just a few seconds.
I walked to the curb and talked to 911, then to my husband. Then I noticed the blood on my arm and chest and the pain in my knee and wrist. I got a look at my car--destroyed. There was oil all over the road. I had spun completely around after the impact--my car was now facing east. The ambulance got there very quickly. The cuts on my arm and chest were from the air bag. The EMT's put my trembling and quickly-swelling hand in a splint and sling and bandaged up cuts. The paramedics reminded me it could have been a lot worse. I gave my police report from the ambulance. Within 30 minutes we were on our way to the closest hospital--Palmetto General. (what a crappy hospital). My first ambulance ride and visit to the ER, and hopefully the last.
After over 8 hours in the ER, an X-ray, CT scan, and several needle pricks, it was determined that I had no fractures and no internal injuries. I won't get into details today. I'm typing this blog with one hand!
More details to come another time.

test from zeta20
ReplyDeleteYes, here is how to post for the verification work for Elissa’s blog. Please click on the verification word and type the letters. Then his tap until you reach edit. Click on edit and then click post comment, and it should work. I’m going post a comment again.
ReplyDeleteOur hearts and prayers have been with you and Steve. Hopefully, by the time you read this post, your arm swelling will have lowered even further. It was wonderful have you and Steve join us for the family holiday gathering. Without a doubt, you will be stronger than ever when you are ready to use your fingers to create beautiful music with your flute. You have been very determined in everything in life you have ever accomplished with so much success.
ReplyDeleteHopefully you are much better with swelling and bruising and pain. I've been following your progress through phone conversations with Ranger and added my prayers to those already ascending for you.
ReplyDeleteI finally got the comment to work but not in the exact way Zeta20 instructed. After I hit the Post Comment button the first time, the screen redrew and I could see the tops of the verification word. I couldn't click on it or find any kind of box to type it into. UNTIL, I thought to highlight the entire comment box. As I did so, I dragged my cursor and was able to scroll down past the verification letters. Then the box appeared where you type in what you see. I was able to duplicate the letters and post the comment. Somehow, I'm just not seeing the entire box for verifying the letters. At least there's a "work-around"
ReplyDeleteI sent you an email with the previous comment. So, I will just say how much we enjoyed visiting with you and Steve at the Christmas get-together. Your hand still is so swollen that I am almost glad that I did not see it before. It is a miracle that there is no break.
ReplyDelete