Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Off to Never Never Land

I've never had anesthesia before last Friday.  First, the nurse and anesthesiologist administered "happy juice" via the IV in my hand (that's what the nurse called it...she said I might still feel pressure, but this will make me not care).  Then the anesthesiologist said:  "Time for mojitos!"  I said "how about a martini?" He replied: "this is three martinis!"  He injected the said happy juice into my IV and the feeling was instant--three martinis at once.  The man wasn't lying.  All I could say was: "whoa."  They then started the local anesthesia on my arm--a few injections near my armpit.  Little by little, my arm started to go numb.



Before I knew it, and before my arm was totally numb, I was wheeled into the OR.  I told the nurse that I still felt completely alert and could still feel my arm.  Another nurse started scrubbing my arm down.  I still felt it.  The nurse gave me another injection in my IV.  This one made my arm burn...this one was the good one.  


The next thing I remember the surgery was over.  My arm was bandaged up and the doctor was telling me how everything went.  My arm was still totally numb and out of my control.  While I was getting dressed, I lifted my arm over my head and it came down and almost hit me in the face.  It took a few hours before it was under my control again.  My fingers started tingling about an hour after surgery; that's when I started feeling the pain.  (Thank God for prescription pain killers)!  I was home by noon and asleep five minutes later.

I've gotten progressively better since then.  It's been almost 5 days.  I was supposed to go back to work today but didn't feel well in the morning and stayed home.  I went back to the hospital and they removed my bandages, cleaned the wound, and made a new splint for me.   I saw my hand for the first time today.  I look like Frankenstein.  I have stiches, swelling, and brusing.  My stitches will come out on Friday.  In the meantime, I have to clean and dress the wound once a day and continue doing the exercises for my fingers.  I'll keep everyone updated.  Back to work tomorrow....

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Won't you be glad when this is all just a distant memory and you're using that hand and arm to make music, clap for joy and do all the other things an arm and hand can do. I laughed over the not-in-control part but felt badly afterward!

    Prayers ascending,
    That you're soon mending!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in class writing to another teacher when I should be paying attention. No, not really. Well, maybe just a little bit? We will look back at this time in your life as real big challenge. I envision you joining the other musicians at the GMSB in the UM auditorium (yes, it is UM, sorry) for your return concert. I’m starting to feel a little guilty about missing this lecture. She thinks I’m taking typing notes about the lesson. You are the most determined successful musician; I have ever admired.

    ReplyDelete